This post has been sitting on my computer for nearly two months–a whirlwind of a two months.
1 house sold, 1 house purchased. Moving out, moving in. Boxes, boxes….and a puppy. Another puppy.
The good news is that we are all settled in our new home, which is nestled on the hillside off of a country dirt road. The better news is we are finally settled in (I am never moving again, ever). And the best news yet…I am back!
And now that I have some time to get to this post, summer is in full swing. Yippee!
Beautiful days filled with sunshine, comfy clothes, and evening strolls. I love it.
What else do I love? Summer salads. Summer salads?! That’s right. A major summer highlight.
I’ve been known to fill my plate so full of summer sides, that I nearly run out of room for the main dish (don’t worry…I somehow manage to squeeze it all in).
Last weekend (now two months ago…) at our family picnic I relished in all of the glorious summer salads. Three bean salad, fruit salad, potato salad, and this…
It’s light, full of flavor, and entirely too easy to throw together.
I certainly enjoyed every single bite of this all on its own. But topping this over a nicely grilled steak, pork loin, or chicken…aaaaamazing. I think I’m liking this as a little taco filler, too…yea?!
(And because I have made this several times since drafting this post…it makes for a perfect snack with chips, too!)
Bring this along as your next dish to pass or serve it up alongside your favorite grillings at home.
Two things I guarantee: It will be ooo-d and ahhh-d and it will be devoured.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups cook corn off the cob (or frozen corn that has been thawed)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- salt to taste
- Combine sugar and vinegar in a small sauce pan on the stove, stir. Heat until sugar is complete dissolved. Let cool. (This step can also be done in the microwave).
- In a large bowl, combine corn, peppers (red/jalapeno), beans, and black-eyed peas. Pour in sugar and vinegar mixture and oil. Toss and season with salt.
- Let chill before serving.