Do you ever have days when you come home and find yourself
standing in front of rummaging through your cupboard, looking for annnnything to cure your afternoon snack attack? Yea, me too. Hmmm…quite often actually. Snack attack hit me hard the other day. And after standing in front of my cupboard for a solid five minutes, I decided the only way to kill this craving was to whip up some seriously satisfying cookies. So some seriously satisfying cooooooookies (in my best Cookie Monster voice) is exactly what I made.
I often wonder what Jewel will think, when we come home from school each day and immediately start baking. Right now I think she is fairly entertained by my play-by-play kitchen commentary. Or…or maybe she’s shaking her head each time I turn around. I suggest she continues to smile…for who else would have a different kind of homemade cookie in their lunch each day?!
Anyhow, my severe ravenous state had me throwing whatever goods I could get my hands on into these jam-packed-with-goodness cookies.
Chewy oatmeal and sweet dried cherries, bits of chocolate, crunchy toasted pecans. Good heavens, if this cookie doesn’t satisfy your snack craving, I’m not sure what would. These cookies can also feed a crowd. My serious need for a cookie had me using my hungriest-sized cookie scoop (as in golf ball sized globs of cookie dough), which made about 20 cookies. But if you actually make normal sized cookies, you’ll probably get around 40.
Breakfast Cookie? They are perfect for breakfast with a hot cup of coffee or tea…
Snack Attack Cookies? To overcome your afternoon cravings?
Trail Cookies? They are so hearty, they kind of remind me of a chewy granola bar…which by the way, I shall pass no judgement if you choose to devour one (or two) to refuel after a good hike or run.
How about this…they are practically perfect for every reason and are made with practically everything in my baking cupboard, so I’m going with Everything Cookies.
Come to think of it. I did have some shredded coconut in my cupboard, as well. I am not exactly sure how that one missed the cookie party…but next time I whip these up, shredded coconut might just join the mix.
Feel free to change it up with whatever you have floating in your pantry. They will for sure be tasty.
- 2 cups pastry flour (all-purpose will do)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups dried cherries, chopped
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder/soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well. Add dry ingredients and mix until dough comes together. Mix in oats, cherries, chocolate chips, and toasted pecans.
- Drop rounded mounds of dough onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until cookies begin to turn golden brown. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.