I am a big fan of muffins.
Not only are they delicious and satisfying, they are an extremely convenient snack you can grab on the run…which I am quickly learning is a necessity these days.
But a green muffin?! Now that sounds interesting…
This recipe is the muffin version of one of my all time favorite smoothies. Which means, yes…these muffins are made with spinach! No worries though, other than the bright green color of these lovely little muffins-the spinach is completely hidden by the sweet taste of bananas and cinnamon, mmm!
Not only are these muffins funky and fun, they are pretty healthy too! If you are looking for a creative way to sneak in your veggies, this one’s for you!
Pretty springy, right?
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup white wheat flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach, roughly a few large handfuls
- 2 bananas
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a blender or food processor, puree spinach, bananas, oil, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour spinach puree into dry ingredients and stir with a spoon.
- Divide batter in prepared muffin pan.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Use all white flour for a brighter green.
- Use oat flour to make gluten free.
I found this recipe over at The Green Forks-I am pretty impressed with her ability to whip up some pretty delicious looking healthy stuff.
So if you are feeling adventurous and want a little extra nutritious boost, whip up a batch of these guys and dig in!
Tank and Julianna’s first walk together to the park…small steps!