The one day a year I find it completely acceptable to eat whaaaaaateva I want. And that includes junk food…real junk food. I’m not talking bad food. I’m talking food that’s so incredibly delicious because it’s cheesy, and dip-able, and bacon-y. You know, all the stuff that’s good, buuuuut not really…but it doesn’t matter, because it’s Super Bowl day! That gives you a free pass, at least in my mind.
I put serious thought into the perfect football-watching snack. My old go-to favorite is a big pan of chicken wing dip. I pretty much can clean up an entire pan of that on my own. For real. I dare say, however, this might just be the most perfect one yet and my new favorite: Bacon Wrapped Tater Tot Poppers.
The first time I made these I used this recipe. We took them over to our new neighbors’ housewarming gathering and they were a big hit. They were rolled in brown sugar and I actually switched up the tots a bit and made some sweet po-tater tot wraps, too. Yum!
Thiiiiiis time however, I kicked it up a notch. A serious mouthwatering notch.
This time I used cheese, pickled jalapeños (must be pickled for a little extra zip!), smoked applewood bacon, and maple whiskey barbecue sauce. Bacon Wrapped Tater Tot Poppers. Genius.
They are ridiculously easy and bake up real quick. Serve them alongside your favorite barbecue as a nice dipper, and you’ll have your game day guests drooling.
Oh, and whatever you think you’ll eat, make more. Because you will for sure easily devour what you made…and then some.
- 1 small bag frozen tater tots
- 1 (8 oz) rectangular brick of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 oz) jar sliced pickled jalapenos
- 1 (16 oz) package of uncooked bacon slices
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Note: You will need one cheese slice and half of a pepper slice per tot, so plan accordingly. Prepare ingredients by slicing cheese into thinner slices and then cut each slice into fourths. Cut each pepper slice in half. Cut bacon into roughly 3-1/2 inch slices.
- Assemble tots by placing a tater tot, cheese slice, and pepper piece at one end of the bacon. Roll up into the bacon, making sure the bacon covers everything completely so that it does not "pop off" when baked. Assemble prepared tater tots on baking pan lined with foil.
- Bake until bacon is browned and crispy, about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favorite BBQ sauce for dipping.
- Each package of bacon makes about 20 tots. You will have enough leftover cheese, tater tots, and peppers to make more tater tots by purchasing another package of bacon.