Warmer weather is finally on its way, and along with it…picnics and barbecues!
Barbecue side dishes can sometimes get a little, boring? You know…baked beans, potato salad, a macaroni dish. The things people always expect to see on the table. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not hating any of these things-I happen to love them! But sometimes, it’s nice to see a new dish alongside all the barbecue classics. One that won’t leave you feeling, stuffed and sluggish? Who wants that on a hot summer day?
If you are looking for a light, healthy salad to bring to your next event, this one is it.
It’s filled with fresh summer veggies, tossed in a light vinaigrette, and served chilled. Sounds refreshing, right?
Not only is it a healthier option…it looks pretty impressive, too-check out the bright yellow, green, and red colors. Delicious.
- 4 cups corn
- 4 cups asparagus, chopped in one inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley (optional)
- On the stove, roast the corn over medium/medium high heat until lightly charred. Set aside.
- Steam asparagus in the microwave for 2-3 minutes (until just starting to cook). You want to keep the asparagus crisp and crunchy. Immediately place asparagus in an ice bath to stop the cooking and keep bright green color. Drain and set aside.
- Cut cherry tomatoes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, and sugar.
- Carefully toss in veggies to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with fresh chopped parsley.
- Refrigerate at least one hour.
- Best if served chilled.
- This recipe is best made with fresh corn off the cob, but if it's not in season yet-frozen works just as well.
So go ahead and pile your plate with some of this summer salad goodness. Your waistline will thank you! And you might even be ready to take on that next game of Kan Jam, instead of sitting on the sidelines!