Our new home has a row of blueberry and raspberry bushes. For the past few weeks, while Julianna is still snoozing, I look forward to grabbing my cup of coffee and heading out to the fruit bushes beside our house with the boys to see what’s ripened overnight.
At one point, I was picking several quarts of fruit daily. And what I didn’t freeze made their way into a variety of baked goods. Mostly muffins. LOTS of muffins.
These muffins to be exact…
The blueberry only version of these muffins have been a favorite of mine for a long, long time. Tossing in a few raspberries and lemon zest…YUM.
These muffins are a must in your recipe box.
- 1 cup butter (room temp-ish)
- 3 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add butter and work into crumbs using hands. Set aside 1 cup of the crumbles.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, lemon zest/juice. Beat until batter is just smooth.
- Gently fold in berries.
- Place generous scoopfuls of batter into muffin tins. Top muffins with reserved crumbles.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Yields 12 jumbo muffins or about 24 regular muffins.