Yesterday Matt and I celebrated our three year wedding anniversary. Cheers!
We had a very diy wedding, and among all of the handmade items was my wedding cake! That’s right…this crazy bride made her own cake, with the help of her sisters that is. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I knew what I wanted! My aunt Suzie’s carrot cake. I suppose I could have had somebody else make it, but where is the fun in that?!
So the day before our wedding, my sisters and I were cracking eggs, sifting flour, and frosting cakes. And I wouldn’t have had it any other way. Making your own cake does have it’s advantages you know! Like…you know it’s going to taste fantastic (which it did). You might just way over estimate how much you need and live off of cake for the weeks after (we did). AND…you can bake up the same cake each year on your anniversary as a unique way to celebrate (I do!).
Here are the cakes from the last two years.
And here is the recipe for the best carrot cake, ever!
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 jars baby food carrots
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1-8oz can crushed pineapple
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, baby food, coconut, and pineapple.
- Sift in flour, cinnamon, soda, and salt.
- Stir in walnuts (if using).
- 9x13 pan-50-60 minutes, jumbo cupcakes 25-30 minutes, standard cupcakes 20-25 minutes.
Top with your favorite cream cheese frosting recipe. Here is mine:
- 1/2 pound soft/melted butter (2 sticks)
- 1-8oz package cream cheese
- 1 bag confectionery sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Heavy cream
- Cream together butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add confectionery sugar.
- Add pinch of salt and enough heavy cream to reach desired consistency.